Yeah... I know.... the site is called MFTGuide... I get why you wouldn't think we have any connection to ACSW and LCSWs. To be honest, I let some really well meaning, awesome business advisors convince me to name my site mftguide... If I was to go back in time- I'd choose something else. Back to the point.
While the process that prelicensed therapists go through to get licensed is quite similar, and exam formats may be similar, the material can be quite different. It is important to choose study materials that understand the material that will be on the exam for your particular license. While I empathically recommend picking up a paid study program before taking licensing exams- I also believe studying for licensing exams should start in graduate school.
Ok... I'm not talking about stay up every night stressing and sweating for hours studying. I'm just talking about digesting material throughout your process of gathering hours that will make the process of preparing for licensing exams less stressful.
It isn't uncommon for interns and associates to realize, during the studying process that they had been doing some things wrong, or been misinformed for YEARS! Many say- I wish I would've known this at the start of this process.
One fun way (if you can let go of the text anxiety aspect) to start prepping is with free LCSW study materials online and LCSW study apps. I'm sharing these resources here as a fun way to bring material into supervision, consultation, or even into a monthly exploration of- wow I didn't know that! session.
- BTA Exams Lite is a free program developed by a LCSW and professor at UC Berkely in California. It has 25 free questions and is available on Android and Iphone.
- LCSW Quiz: California has a small bank of 15 questions developed by Gerry Grossman seminars.
- Are you a Pinterest lover? Check out this board and this board for some fun links to materials.
- Free 10 Question LCSW Exam Prep Test
- ASWB Social Work Exam Questions Here
- People sharing flash cards they developed to study for exams here. Make sure to verify information is correct!
Do you have materials that you've used to study for the LCSW or LMSW exam? Share them in the comments below!